RULES FOR 2015 PIE CONTEST
The Pie Contest is open to the public. Contestants may enter as many pies as they wish. A separate entry form, a detailed recipe, and a list of ingredients must accompany each pie. Right-click HERE to download the required pdf entry form.
Winning pies in each category will be displayed with much fanfare for public viewing.
By participating in this event, entrants agree to abide by the contest rules and decisions of the judges, to allow their pie recipe to be included in a future cookbook and to allow organizers to publish photographs of them and their pies.
- $5 Entry Donation per pie
- Each entry must be submitted in only one category.
- Multiple pie entries per person are allowed.
- Fill out an entry form for each pie you enter in the contest.
- The recipe including a list of ingredients must accompany the entry.
- The pie entered must be in the name of the person who made it.
- Individual entries only, no place of business or retail/dining establishment may enter.
- Entries will not be returned, so please use only disposable pans.
- A Pie has a bottom crust, perhaps a top crust, and a filling. Tart entries are also allowed.
- Pies can be main dish or dessert type pie.
- Crust and filling must be made from scratch.
- Pies should be submitted covered and at a proper temperature for the type of pie.
- Savory Pie
- Fruit Pie
- Nut Pie
- Cream / Custard Pie
- Special Diet (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Sugar Free, etc.)
- Youth Pie (Entrants must be younger than 12 years old.)
Judging and Prizes
A panel of judges from the community will judge the entries. This is a blind judging, and all decisions of the judges are final. Winners will be announced after the judging is complete.
- All pies, including youth pies, must be submitted between 9:00 AM and 10:30 AM the day of the contest.
- There will be a minimum of 3 judges per category.
- Judging criteria will include overall appearance and taste. Note that pie pan will not be considered a part of the presentation. [Please use a disposable dish.]
- Scoring: Each judge will assign a numerical value (1-5) in each category without consultation with the other judges. The pie receiving the highest total numerical value will be the winner in that category. In the case of a tie, the judges will judge those pies again.
- Winners in each category will receive prize ribbons.
- Grand-Prize winner: Each category-winning pie will be judged again. Judges will decide which pies are the Grand, Second, and Third Overall Winners to receive prizes generously donated by Ladles and Linens Kitchen Shoppe.
- Youth pies will be judged within their own category for presentation, flavor and creativity.
- All winners will be announced after the judging.
- Pies must be maintained and submitted at a proper temperature as determined by health department regulations for the ingredients used in the pie. Most pies should therefore arrive in a clean, iced cooler for safety’s sake.
- Because of facility limitations, frozen pies cannot be accepted.
- A list of ingredients must be submitted with the entry.